Your entire physiology is impacted by various spectrum of light. TrueDark™ Daywalker glasses filter out specific wavelengths of junk light that we’re exposed to via an average of 10 hours/day that we spend on TVs, phones and computers (1). And that is just “screen time”. Even if we’re simply reading an old fashioned book that is printed on paper, we’re doing that in artificial light (LEDs, fluorescents, etc.) that have dramatically more “blue light” than the natural sun produces.
The result of over exposure to blue light can be drastic, causing poor sleep, trouble focusing, weight gain and overall poor health. Your hormones and neurotrasmitters are under circadian control, and that is dramatically impacted by the large amount of blue spectrum light modern people are exposed to. One of the most common areas of impact is poor sleep and melatonin production. Melatonin is an important hormone that does many things, but is most notable for regulating sleep patterns/circadian rhythm. Another amazing benefit of melatonin is that it’s responsible for reducing inflammation in the brain. TrueDark Daywalker tones down the amount of the blue wavelengths that negatively impact your biology.
Your eyes are a window to your soul (and to your suprachiasmatic nucleus)
The suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) is the major regulator of your circadian rhythm. Your brain knows whether it is day or night based on the amount of light– or the lack of light – that your eyes are exposed to.
Light is measured in nanometers (nm). The shorter wavelengths of light have a greater effect on your sleep cycles. The short 460 nm wavelengths (these are the blue ones) of light suppress melatonin twice as much as longer 555 nm light, the wavelength best seen by the human eye. This mea
ns that ever since the light bulb was invented, we have been breaking our internal clocks, which breaks our circadian rhythm. As we’ve “improved” technology to make electricity more efficient via LEDs and fluorescent lighting, we’ve introduced more and more of the blue spectrum into our environment. In fact, retail stores use and office buildings use blue light to encourage wakefulness and productivity. Controlling which wavelengths of light reach the eye gives us a way to reset and control our internal clocks.
“My daughter and I are loving our Daywalkers!!” – Trudy
Why Use TrueDark Daywalker
Daywalker blocks UV and harmful spectrums of blue light, reducing eye strain, protecting retinal cells and helping to keep your circadian rhythm on track. Poor sleep is linked to heart disease, weight gain, type 2 diabetes and depression (2). Traditional blue blockers block all of the blue spectrum, which is fine for at night, but is too much for during the day. Daywalker shfits the spectrum to reduce, but not eliminate, the harshest of the blue spectrum.
When to wear TrueDark™ Daywalker
Remember that some blue light is already in nature and it’s good for you! It’s the time of day and the overall amount of exposure that you will want to manage. Daylight early in the day, ideally real sunlight, is fine. Don’t wear your Daywalker glasses if you are walking around outside in the morning! Once you’re in harsh artificial light or staring at a computer screen or TV, break out your TrueDark Daywalker glasses.
- During the day when you’re in artificial light, including office buildings, TVs, computers and phone.
- During air travel. Planes are 100% junk light. Wear during daytime flights when you expect to land a few hours before you’ll be going to sleep. Once you’re safely at your hotel/home, switch to TrueDark Twilight 2-4 hours before bed. On a redeye, choose TrueDark Twilight glasses for the whole flight.
- Use common sense and avoid driving, using heavy machinery or other actions that may be impacted by a change in depth perception or changes on the color spectrum.
The lenses are in a comfortable and stylish frame that has a removable prescription insert that your local eye doctor can fill. That that insert is interchangeable with your TrueDark Twilight glasses too! To use the clear framed prescription insert, simply pop it out by firmly pulling it backwards directly away from the lines at the nose bridge location, then take the insert to your local optometrist to have your prescription filled.
Who should use TrueDark technology?
Our hormones and neurotransmitters (3) are under circadian control. This affects almost every condition you can think of that plagues modern life. Just a few conditions that are made worse or in part caused light at night include cancer and aging (4), ADHD (5), diabetes (6) Alzheimer’s (7) and psychiatric and neurodegenerative diseases (8)
- Anyone over the age of 60 – after 60, the body produces very little melatonin
- Mothers who are breastfeeding – infants don’t produce their own melatonin, so they rely on the mother’s hormones, including melatonin. When the mother has healthy levels, they are transmitted via breast milk to set their infants “master clock”, resulting in better sleep at night for your baby (and you!)
- Shiftworkers – Light at night which accompanies shiftwork is listed as a probable carcinogen by the World Health Organization.
- Biohackers – When looking for an edge in your mental or physical performance, sleep and hormone production are a mainstay.
- Weight loss – Leptin is a master hormone and signals to our brains how much fat storage we have. Its levels peak at night. Leptin and ghrelin are the two main hunger hormones in our body. Both leptin and ghrelin are light sensitive.
- Office workers – by poor overhead flickering flourcent light, or overly blue tinged LEDs, while staring at a bright computer screen for 8-10 hours per day.
- Airplane travelers – Stop Junk Light. Stop (or at least drastically reduce) jet lag caused by junk light and time zone changes. The overhead lights on airplanes are harsh. The outside light also comes in from the windows, but your brain isn’t programmed to have bright light coming from the side, with harsh light from above. It’s exhausting and drags your hormones down. Wearing TrueDark glasses on a plane, along with a ballcap, will make a huge difference in your travel experience!
Even after protecting your eyes from harsh, artificial light throughout the day, you can take one more step to lock in the benefits. to have around the clock protection, check out TrueDark Twilight. To maximize your biology, use the stylish TrueDark Daywalker for throughout the day when you’re in artificial light, then use your pair of TrueDark Twilight 2-4 hours before going to sleep. Get started now to #StopJunkLight™ We offer TrueDark Twilight and TrueDark Daywalker glasses as a set to provide you with the maximum coverage to help you protect your melatonin during the day, and your melatonin and melanopsin. Remember, TrueDark Twilight is a patented process that filters out light that damages melatonin and melanopsin production.
We’re currently sold out of individual Daywalker glasses (regular price $99/pair). But we do have boxed sets of both TrueDark Daywalker and Twilight on sale for only $129 with free US shipping.