Your entire physiology is impacted by the spectrum of light that is absorbed by your eyes. Make that impact positive with TrueDark™ Twilight.
Circadian disruption has been attributed to the increase of risk of heart disease, depression, learning issues, diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome and many other conditions currently plaguing modern societies. Unfortunately, we are surrounded by “junk light” from nearly all artificial light sources including LEDs, computer screens, florescent lights and TVs. TrueDark glasses from Biohacked filter out the right wavelengths of junk light. That allows your brain and body to make more good hormones like melatonin.
A common solution for daytime protection has been “blue blocker” glasses, including TrueDark Daywalker Elite, that filter out the harmful visual blue light spectrum.
What your eyes don’t see
A recent discovery has shed new light (yep, that’s a bad pun) on exactly how our eyes respond to blue light. And it turns out that the long-held assumption that circadian rhythm was set by “seeing” light isn’t strictly correct.
While it’s true that exposure to too much blue light does negatively influence physiology, new research shows that there is a second, more dominant and important system that is responsible for setting your circadian rhythm, sleep patterns and hormones. This system is based on a photopigment called melanopsin.
Unlike the standard rod and cone structure of the eye which helps us see, melanopsin doesn’t help us see. Instead, it reacts to light wavelengths and is the primary regulator of our biological clock and our production of melatonin. Without melanopsin your melatonin production suffers.
Based on this research, the patent pending TrueDark Twilight lenses were developed for use in the key 2+ hours before you go to sleep.
Understanding the the relationship between melatonin production and melanopsin sensors is key to finding your optimal performance.
Melatonin is great! It’s a hormone that you naturally produce that is responsible for regulating sleep patterns and reducing inflammation in the brain. However, that’s not the entire story.
Melanopsin cells in your eyes are the foundation for taking sleep and brain health to a whole new level. Melanopsin absorbs light and triggers a biochemical cascade that sends signals to your brain about brightness. Daylight is usually bright light and features colors like blues, greens and yellows. Melanopsin basically tells your body that it is daytime! When the melanopsin cells in your eyes detect light less melatonin is produced. That could be daytime real light or artificial junk light from your computer monitor. That makes you feel more awake. This potentially contributes to many other health issues since our hormones and neurotransmitters are under circadian control.
On the other hand, when it is dark and melanopsin cells don’t detect “daytime” light, more melatonin is produced. That helps you feel tired, helping you sleep and helping your circadian rhythm stay in tune.
Here’s why TrueDark™ Twilight works
You’ve likely seen the explosive growth of “blue blocker” glasses, based on helping to support melatonin production. They are a great solution during daytime hours. But blocking just the blue light spectrum isn’t enough when you head into the evening hours just before bed. Melanopsin cells are acutely sensitive to junk light and will stop your body creating melatonin. Melanopsin is sensitive to a broader spectrum of light, so “blue blocker” glasses don’t protect you from melanopsin-stimulating junk-light wavelengths during the most important time of the day — right before bed when you want your circadian rhythm to be in prime shape to help you sleep.
After a day of wearing blue blockers or avoiding junk light, prime the pump by being sure your melanopsin isn’t being stimulated by your environment. Melanopsin stimulation will prevent melatonin from being signaled for release!
TrueDark Twilight prevents your melanopsin cells from detecting the wrong wavelengths of light at the wrong time of day. It protects your melanopsin from the entire spectrum that negatively impacts your biological clock. Wear them for 2 to 4 hours before bed. (Hint: Blue is only one of the wavelengths that impacts your sleep cycles.)
Only TrueDark™ Twilight has the patent pending process that filters out the wavelengths that stimulate melanopsin sensors — maximizing your sleep quality, performance, and health. They only have to be worn in the few hours before you go to sleep at night.
How to use TrueDark™ Twilight
The patent pending lenses are in a wrap around frame to block light from the sides and have specially designed soft foam around the inside border to prevent light leakage from the top. Plus they have a removable prescription insert that your local eye doctor can fill.
Read your kindle or tablet before bed! Combine all of these fantastic features, and you end up with a fully loaded, but slightly dorky, pair of glasses. Luckily while TrueDark Twilight glasses are perfect for the few hours before you go to sleep, they are overkill for use during the day. In fact, if you wear them during the day, you’ll get tired. Use common sense and avoid driving, using heavy machinery or other actions that may be impacted by becoming tired, a change in depth perception or changes on the color spectrum. Begin use for a short period of time, and work up to 2-4 hours as you adjust to the new experience and deeper sleep.
If you like taking power naps, feel free to wear your Twilight for a few minutes to get you ready for your nap.
You’ll still want to begin filtering the plain blue spectrum in the afternoon or in particularly harsh artificial light (office, airplane, trade shows…the list is endless). Outdoor LED lights contain about five times more blue light than incandescent bulbs. This is where our traditional blue light blocking glasses come into play. TrueDark™ Daywalkers that come in a box set with these Twilights, or the separately available TrueDark Daywalker Elites, are blue blockers that are both stylish and perfect for day time and early evening use.
Who should use TrueDark™?
Our hormones and neurotransmitters are under circadian control. This affects almost every condition you can think of that plagues modern life. Conditions that are made worse or in part caused light at night include: cancer and aging, diabetes, stroke, obesity, multiple sclerosis, psychiatric and neurodegenerative diseases, ADHD, Alzheimer’s, autoimmunity, gastric conditions, bipolar mania and even sleepless nights for breastfed infants and their mothers.
- Anyone over the age of 60 – after 60 — the body produces very little melatonin. TrueDark Twilight will help with sleep by resetting the internal clock via melanopsin.
- Mothers who are breastfeeding – infants don’t produce their own melatonin, so they rely on the mother’s hormones, including melatonin. When the mother has healthy levels, they are transmitted via breast milk to set their infants “master clock”, resulting in better sleep at night for your baby (and you!)
- Shiftworkers – Light at night which accompanies shiftwork is listed as a probable carcinogen by the World Health Organization. Light at night has shown to be highly associated with significantly the risk of hormone specific such as cancers of the breast and prostate.
- Biohackers – When looking for an edge in your mental or physical performance, sleep and hormone production are a mainstay.
- Weight loss – Leptin is a master hormone and signals to our brains how much fat storage we have. Its levels peak at night. Leptin and ghrelin are the two main hunger hormones in our body. Both leptin and ghrelin are light sensitive. Red light and darkness move leptin and ghrelin into patterns that are (context dependent) associated with less hunger, while blue light does the opposite and can move both into patterns associated with more hunger.
- Office workers – by poor overhead flickering fluorescent light, or overly blue tinged LEDs, while staring at a bright computer screen for 8-10 hours per day.
- Airplane travelers – Stop Junk Light. Stop (or at least drastically reduce) jet lag caused by junk light and time zone changes. The overhead lights on airplanes are harsh. The outside light also comes in from the windows, but your brain isn’t programmed to have bright light coming from the side, with harsh light from above. It’s exhausting and drags your hormones down. Wearing either TrueDark glasses on a plane, along with a ballcap, will make a huge difference in your travel experience!
To give your eyes a break from the normal junk-light of the day, and to be sure you have a pair with style for wearing in public, we suggest you check out TrueDark Daywalker for use during the day too. To maximize your biology, use the stylish TrueDark Daywalker Elite throughout the day when you’re in artificial light, then use TrueDark Twilight 2-4 hours before going to sleep. Get started now to #StopJunkLight™
What you get
Each pair of patent pending TrueDark Twilight glasses comes with:
- Patent pending lens technology plus UV, glare resistance and scratch protection
- Lightweight, waterproof frame (you can even wear them in the shower before bed!)
- Prescription insert (take it to your optometrist to have your prescription filled)
- Glasses case